Foundation Camera Training Workshop
Duration: 1 day
All our workshops are bespoke. Based on the list below, but also on detailed discussions with delegates beforehand, an itinerary for the day’s training is drawn up.
Awestruck? A bit nervous when you open that camera bag or are told that tomorrow you might be shooting? Don’t worry we have all been there. Ok, it was a few years ago with me but let me tell you how I got around it.
Training – every day at the BBC I was learning, watching others do it, having a go myself, always learning. On this workshop we will lead you through the beginnings of shooting, the gear and basic techniques. We will de-mystify and explain, give you the confidence.
- Life on the road - your part of a team.
- Getting you started; an introduction to a camera.
- Setting up your viewfinder, from bars to zebras.
- What is back focus?
- Timecode - what is it actually for?
- The lens: What is it? How does it work? What is an f stop?
- Basic lens operation - changing exposure and focus.
- Depth of Field - basics explained.
- Light: how to use and control it. What is mixed light?
- Colour temperature explained.
- Getting to know and work with contributors.
- Logistics; tape labelling, rushes, battery charging.
- Posture and holding the camera correctly.
- Shooting a basic dialogue scene.
- Holding a shot long enough, panning smoothly.
- How to shoot buildings and landscapes.
- Basic handholding technique. Walking backwards!
- Condensation and your lens misting up!
What experience you might have had beforehand:
We are not as concerned with experience, at this stage, as a general keen interest to learn. You might well have your eye on a job vacancy, or want to attend our Intermediate level workshop at a later date. But at this stage getting the basic knowledge is the most important.
What job this workshop might help you apply for:
The fact that you have a basic grounding in camera craft cannot be underestimated. Apart from the job applications that will now be available, fundamentally you have begun to give yourself a skill that will provide the bedrock for your shooting career to come.
Who has attended this type of course?
Production Coordinators and Managers, those starting off in the industry who want to shoot, and journalists who want to re train with a new skill.
How do I book on the course?
Contact our Course Administrator email@example.com for more information about how to book and how to reserve your place.